Lieutenant Governor Walter J. Maddock became governor when Arthur G. Sorlie died in office. Maddock was a very strong supporter of the Nonpartisan League, and he supported state-owned industries (Bank of North Dakota and the State Mill and Elevator). In 1928 Maddock ran for re-election, after switching from Republican to Democratic politics. He was defeated by Republican George F. Shafer. Maddock returned to farming and was active in organizing farmers' cooperatives. In 1933 Maddock became senior administrative officer of the regional Agricultural Adjustment Administration. From 1937 until his retirement in 1950, he served as head of North Dakota's Farm Security Administration office.Maddock was the first North Dakota governor born in the state.
Lieutenant Governor Walter Jeremiah Maddock became governor when Arthur G. Sorlie died in 1928.
In 1883 the Dakota Territory capitol location was changed from Yankton to Bismarck. A capitol building was under construction by 1883. In 1889 this building became the state capitol of North Dakota, and South Dakota constructed its own building at Pierre.
This North Dakota capitol burned on December 28, 1930, and the present-day skyscraper was constructed in the early 1930s.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.