Rails, Ranching and Riches: The Marquis de Mores in Dakota
This exhibit at the site’s interpretive center tells the story of the Marquis de Mores (1858-1896), a French nobleman and entrepreneur who, from 1883 to 1886, ran a cutting-edge meatpacking plant and other businesses in the town he named after his wife, Medora. His family’s 26-room summer home includes thousands of original artifacts. Featured is a smaller-scale refrigerator car, along with the Deadwood, an original stagecoach from the Marquis’s Deadwood and Medora Stage and Forwarding Company.
Wičháȟpi Owíŋža - Star Quilt
Star quilts are integral to modern Native American plains culture. This exhibit explores their meaning and development over the last century. Five contemporary star quilts are featured in addition to many historic items.
Grace Lambert quilting in her home, Fort Totten, 1998
Photo courtesy of North Dakota Humanities Council
Chateau de Mores State Historic Site Orientation Film
Take this opportunity to get a brief glimpse of the historic 26-room hunting cabin that is now known as the Chateau de Mores. Built on a bluff overlooking the town of Medora, find out more about why it was built and the grand visions that the Marquis de Mores had for Dakota Territory.
1/8 miles W and 1/8 miles S of
Medora Chimney Park -
west edge of Medora
De Mores Memorial Park -
downtown Medora, ND 58654
Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day
8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. MDT daily
Remaining part of the year:
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. MDT, Tuesday through Saturday
Other Times by appointment.
Chimney Park and DeMores Memorial Park open year round.
Contact Chateau de Mores:
phone: (701) 623-4355
fax: (701) 623-4921
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710