North Dakota History: Journal of the Northern Plains, and its predecessors, has been published for more than one hundred years. Below is a listing of articles and book reviews for each issue since 2005.
Vol. 80, No. 1/Spring 2015
Harry Lashkowitz: FDR's North Dakota Champion
By Terry Shoptaugh
Eliminating "Blight": Urban Renewal Comes
By Nicholas Bauroth
- The Indianization of Lewis and Clark by William R. Swagerty
Reviewed by Gerard Baker or Yellow Wolf (Mandan/Hidatsa)
- Gifts from the Thunder Beings: Indigenous Archery and European Firearms in the Northern Plains and Central Subarctic, 1670-1870 by Roland Bohr
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- Assault on Deadwood Stage: Road Agents and Shotgun Messengers by Robert K. DeArment
Reviewed by Molly Rozum
- Ledger Narratives: The Plains Indian Drawings of the Lansburgh Collection at Dartmouth College by Colin G. Calloway
Reviewed by Tuŋwéya Tȟokáheya (Dakota Goodhouse)
Vol. 79, No. 1/December 2014
Swashing Around in the Sisterhood of States
By Barbara Handy-Marchello, Ph.D.
Breaking an 1889 Glass Ceiling: Laura J. Eisenhuth
By Susan Wefald
- Medora: Boom, Bust, and Resurrection by Rolf Sletten
Reviewed by Ross F. Collins
- Storytelling Time: Native North American Art from the Collections at the University of North Dakota by A.F. Jones and L.A. Ganje, ed.
Reviewed by Joan Carpenter Troccoli
- Columns of Vengeance: Soldiers, Sioux, and the Punitive Expeditions 1863 - 1864 by Paul N. Beck
Reviewed by Chris Johnson
Vol. 78, Nos. 3 & 4
John F. Kennedy and Theodore Roosevelt: Parallels and Common Ground, Including North Dakota
ByClay S. Jenkinson
Fifty Years Later: One Moment that Changed Clint Hill's Life
By Kimberly Jondahl
- In the Mood for Munsingwear: Minnesota's Claim to Underwear Fame by Susan Marks
Reviewed by Jenny Yearous
- Birch Coulie: The Epic Battle of the Dakota War by John Christgau
Reviewed by Gary Clayton Anderson
- Principle Over Party: The Farmers' Alliance and Populism in South Dakota, 1880-1900 by R. Alton Lee
Reviewed by William C. Pratt
- Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way by S.D. Nelson
Reviewed by Linda Gutensohn
- Dakota: The Story of the Northern Plains by Norman K. Risjord
Reviewed by Bethany Andreason
- Life's Journey—Zuya: Oral Teachings from the Rosebud by Albert White Hat Sr.
Reviewed by Dakota Goodhouse
- After Custer: Loss and Transformation in Sioux Country by Paul L. Hedren
Reviewed by Robert Russell
- Corn Palaces and Butter Queens: A History of Crop Art and Dairy Sculpture by Pamela H. Simpson
Reviewed by Kimberly K. Porter
Vol. 78, Nos. 1 & 2
From Theodore Roosevelt to the Izaak Walton League, a Social History of Hunting in North Dakota, 1880 -1950
By Jonathan Wagner
Denbigh Station and Experimental Forest: Soil Conservation in the Plains States
By Thomas Turck
- The North American Journals of Prince Maximilian of Wied, Vol. II
April – September 1833 by Stephen S. Witte and Marsha V. Gallagher, ed.
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- A Free and Hardy Life: Theodore Roosevelt’s Sojourn in the American West by Clay Jenkinson
Reviewed by David A. Wolff
- The Identities of Marie Rose Delorme Smith: Portrait of a Métis Woman 1861-1960 by Doris Jeanne MacKinnon
Reviewed by Virgil Benoit
- The Big Empty: The Great Plains in the Twentieth Century by R. Douglas Hurt
Reviewed by Mark Harvey
- Montana Before History: 11,000 Years of Hunter-Gatherers in the Rockies and Plains by Douglas H. MacDonald
Reviewed by Wendi Field Murray
- Walking Along: Plains Indian Trickster Stories by Paul Goble
Reviewed by Janet Spaeth
- The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground by Jeffrey Ostler
Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon
Vol. 77, Nos. 3 & 4
James Cash Penney and His North Dakota Stores
By David Delbert Kruger
The Star Quilt on the Northern Plains: A Symbol of American Indian Identity
By Birgit Hans
- W. R. Wood, W.J. Hunt, Jr., R.H. Williams. Fort Clark and Its Indian Neighbors: A Trading Post on the Upper Missouri.
Reviewed by Gerard Baker
- Paul L. Hedren. Great Sioux War Orders: How the United States Army Waged War on the Northern Plains, 1876-1877.
Reviewed by John H. Monnett
- Mark Diedrich, with Louis Garcia. Little Fish: Head Chief of the Dakota on Fort Totten Reservation.
Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon
- Jennifer M. Ross-Nazzal. Winning the West for Women: The Life of Suffragist Emma Smith DeVoe.
Reviewed by Angels Firkus
- J.D. McDermott, R.E. Grim, P. Mobley. Eye of the Explorer: Views of the Northern Pacific Railroad Survey, 1853-1854.
Reviewed by Rick Ewig
- David A. Wolff. Seth Bullock: Black Hills Lawman.
Reviewed by Douglas W. Ellison
- W. Raymond Wood. A White-bearded Plainsman: The Memoirs of Archaeologist W. Raymond Wood.
Reviewed by Dale Henning
- Ned O’Gorman. Spirits of the Cold War: Contesting Worldviews in the Classical Age of American Security Strategy.
Reviewed by Mark Sundlov
- Betty A. Bergland and Lori Ann Lahlum. Norwegian American Women: Migration, Communities, and Identities.
Vol. 77, Nos. 1 & 2
James Kipp: Upper Missouri River Fur Trader and Missouri Farmer
By W. Raymond Wood
From the Sites: Fort Clark Trading Post
By Bonnie T. Johnson
- Susan Sleeper-Smith, ed. Rethinking the Fur Trade: Cultures of Exchange in an Atlantic World.
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- Andrea Winkjer Collin with Richard E. Collin. Mr. Wheat: A Biography of U.S. Senator Milton R. Young.
Reviewed by Dan Rylance
- Jeremy Agnew. Life of a Soldier on the Western Frontier.
Reviewed by Chris Johnson
- Mary A. Kopco, ed. Beyond Mount Rushmore: Other Black Hills Faces.
Reviewed by Tim Hoheisel
- Rae Katherine Eighmey. Food Will Win the War: Minnesota Crops, Cooks, and Conservation during World War I.
Reviewed by Barbara Handy-Marchello
- Jon K. Lauck. Prairie Republic: The Political Culture of Dakota Territory.
Reviewed by Lloyd B. Omdahl
- L.H. Larson and B.J. Cottrell. Steamboats West: The 1859 American Fur Company Missouri River Expedition.
Reviewed by Thomas D. Thiessen
John H. Monnett. Where a Hundred Soldiers Were Killed: The Struggle for the Powder River Country in 1866 and the Making of the Fetterman Myth.
Reviewed by Rick Collin
- Ephraim D. Dickson III. The Sitting Bull Surrender Census: The Lakotas at Standing Rock Agency, 1881.
Reviewed by R. Eli Paul
Vol. 76, Nos. 3 & 4
Survival through Adaptation: The Fargo Nursery School, 1933-1965
David B. and Karen R. Danbom
From the Collections: The Letters of Elizabeth Bacon Custer
Bonnie T. Johnson
A Man “Who Fancies Himself Abraham Lincoln”: Senator William Langer’s Civil Rights Record
Don L. Hofsommer. The Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway: A Photographic History.
Reviewed by Robert Zeidel
- Kathleen Davison, Bonnie T. Johnson and Neil D. Howe, eds. North Dakota History: Readings about the Northern Plains State.
Reviewed by Erik Holland
- Hiram M. Drache. Prairie Homestead to Wall Street: A History of the Jones Family and Metropolitan Financial Corporation.
Reviewed by Bruce Gjovig
- Suzanne Barta Julin. A Marvelous Hundred Square Miles: Black Hills Tourism, 1880-1941.
Reviewed by Tracy Potter
- Sebastian F. Braun, Gregory Gagnon, Birgit Hans. Native Peoples of the Northern Plains: An Interdisciplinary Introduction to American Indian Studies.
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- Lloyd A. Svendsbye. I Paid All My Debts: A Norwegian-American Immigrant Saga of Life on the Prairie of North Dakota.
Reviewed by Lori Ann Lahlum
- Kimberly Jondahl. The Frontier Missionary: Three Tribes. A Man of God. A Journey of Faith. Reviewed by Gretchen A. Albers
- Kim Fundingsland. Bismarck, D.T.: The people and events that gave birth to the Wickedest City in the West.
Reviewed by Ken Rogers
- Terry Shoptaugh. They were Ready: The 164th Infantry in the Pacific War, 1942-1945.
Reviewed by Albert I. Berger
- William E. Lass. Navigating the Missouri: Steamboating on Nature's Highway, 1819-1935. Reviewed by Steve Dasovich
- Thomas Peacock and Marlene Wisuri. The Four Hills of Life: Ojibwe Wisdom.
Reviewed by Paulette F. Molin
VOL. 76, NOS. 1 & 2
“‘Corn in the Crib is like Money in the Bank’: George F. Will and the Oscar H. Will & Company, 1917 – 1955” by Fred Schneider
“‘I Shall Love the Land’: The Art of Clell Gannon”
“The ‘Plant Wizard of the North’: Albert F. Yeager at the North Dakota Agricultural College” by Barbara Handy-Marchello
- R. Douglas Hurt. The Great Plains during World War II. Reviewed by Claire Strom
- Richard E. Wood. Survival of Rural America: Small Victories and Bitter Harvests. Reviewed by James Corcoran
- Sebastian Felix Braun. Buffalo Inc.: American Indians and Economic Development. Reviewed by Rich Clow
- Jim Norris. North for the Harvest: Mexican Workers, Growers, and the Sugar Beet Industry Reviewed by Sterling Evans
- Garrett Wilson, Frontier Farewell: The 1870s and the End of the Old West. Reviewed by Brian W. Dippie
- Jeff Barnes. Forts of the Northern Plains: Guide to Historic Military Posts of the Plains Indian Wars. Reviewed by Mark Sundlov
- Larry Len Peterson. Charles M. Russell: Printed Rarities from Private Collections. Reviewed by Walter Piehl
- David P. Billington and Donald C. Jackson. Big Dams in the New Deal Era: A Confluence of Engineering and Politics. Reviewed by Dennis Scarnecchia
- Mark J. Timbrook. Inculpatory Evidence: A Reexamination of the High Plains Smallpox Epidemic of 1837 with an Emphasis on the Mandan. Reviewed by Erik Holland
- Thomas W. Foley. At Standing Rock and Wounded Knee: The Journals and Papers of Father Francis M. Craft, 1888-1890. Reviewed by Marilyn C. Hudson
- Merry M. Helm. Woodrow Wilson Keeble: The Man Called Chief. Reviewed by Terry L. Shoptaugh
- Paula M. Nelson, ed., Maxwell Van Nuys, comp. Sunshine Always: The Courtship Letters of Alice Bower and Joseph Gossage of Dakota Territory. Reviewed by John E. Miller
- Betti Vanepps-Taylor. Forgotten Lives: African Americans in South Dakota. Reviewed by Keith Edgerton
VOL. 75, NOS. 3 & 4 (2008)
“‘Service Is the Most Gratifying Work’:
Governor George A. “Bud” Sinner,” Edited by Robert Jansen pp. 2-53
“‘North Dakota Was Home’: Jane Baute Sinner” pp. 28-33
- Mark Diederich. Mni Wakan Oyate (Spirit Lake Nation): A History of the Sisituwan, Wahpeton, Pabaska, and other Dakota that Settled at Spirit Lake, North Dakota. Reviewed by Sebastian Braun
- Sterling Evans. Bound in Twine: The History and Ecology of the Henequen-Wheat Complex for Mexico and the American and Canadian Plains, 1880-1950. Reviewed by J.L. Anderson
- W. Raymond Wood, ed. Twilight of the Upper Missouri River Fur Trade: The Journals of Henry A. Boller. Reviewed by Sonja Schierle
- Carlos A. Schwantes and James P. Ronda. The West the Railroads Made. Reviewed by Keith Bryant
VOL. 75, NOS. 1 & 2 (2008)
“‘Lovesickness is the Worst Sickness’: The Letters of John C. Boren to His Wife, Mary Jane Woods Pennell Boren, June – July 1896” by Barbara Handy-Marchello pp. 2-14
“The Square Buttes in Art” by W. Raymond Wood pp.15-23
“Further Thoughts on President Abraham Lincoln” pp. 24-25
- David G. McCrady. Living with Strangers: The Nineteenth-Century Sioux and the Canadian-American Borderlands. Reviewed by Sebastian Braun
- Sterling Evans, ed. The Borderlands of the American and Canadian Wests: Essays on Regional History of the Forty-ninth Parallel. Reviewed by Jim Mochoruk
- Larry Len Peterson. L.A. Huffman: Photographer of the American West. Reviewed by Todd H. Strand
- Michael L. Tate. Indians and Emigrants: Encounters on the Overland Trails. Reviewed by Alan F. Perry
- Richard Sisson, Christian Zacher, and Andrew Cayton, eds. The American Midwest: An Interpretive Encyclopedia. Reviewed by David Danbom
- Akim D. Reinhardt. Ruling Pine Ridge: Oglala Lakota Politics from the IRA to Wounded Knee. Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon
- Lawrence H. Larsen, et. al. Upstream Metropolis: An Urban Biography of Omaha and Council Bluff. Reviewed by Carroll Engelhardt
- Thomas Saylor, Long Hard Road: American POWs During World War II. Reviewed by Terry L. Shoptaugh
- Michael Casler, ed. The Original Journal of Charles Larpenteur: My Travels to the Rocky Mountains between 1833 and 1872. Reviewed by Thomas D. Thiessen
- Candace S. Greene and Russell Thornton, eds. The Year the Stars Fell: Lakota Winter Counts at the Smithsonian. Reviewed by Harvey Markowitz
- Richmond L. Clow, ed. The Sioux in South Dakota History. Reviewed by Herbert T. Hoover
- David Dreyer and Josette S. Hatter, From the Banat to North Dakota. A History of the German-Hungarian Pioneers in Western North Dakota. Reviewed by LaVern Rippley
- George Pierre Castile. Taking Charge: Native American Self-Determination and Federal Indian Policy, 1975-1993. Reviewed by Margaret Connell Szasz
- Harold B. Kildahl, Westward We Came: A Norwegian Immigrant’s Story, 1866-1898. Reviewed by Darrell D. Henning
- Carroll Engelhardt, Gateway to the Northern Plains: Railroads and the Birth of Fargo and Moorhead. Reviewed by Lawrence Sommer
- Terry Shoptaugh, “You Have Been Kind Enough to Assist Me”: Herman Stern and the Jewish Refugee Crisis. Reviewed by Ferenc Morton Szasz
- Neil D. Howe, Theodore B. Jelliff, North Dakota Legendary: A Study of North Dakota’s Geography, History, Government, and Issues. Reviewed by Suzzanne Kelley
- Emma I. Hansen, Memory and Vision: Arts, Cultures, and Lives of Plains Indian People. Reviewed by Markus H. Lindner
- Dan Rylance, Quentin Burdick: The Gentle Warrior. Reviewed by Dale V. Sandstrom
Stephen S. Witte, Marsha V. Gallagher, The North Dakota Journals of Prince Maximilian of Wied. Reviewed by Birgit Hans
- Debra K. Marquart, The Horizontal World: Growing Up Wild in the Middle of Nowhere. Reviewed by Robert W. Lewis
- Patrick A. McGuire, Flight of the Odegard.
Reviewed by Roger D. Launius
VOL. 74, NOS. 3 & 4 (2007)
“At Lincoln’s Side: Smith Stimmel’s Personal Reminiscences of Abraham Lincoln,” by the Honorable Frank J. Williams, pp. 2-5.
“My Experiences as a Member of President Lincoln’s Bodyguard, 1863-65,” by Smith Stimmel, pp. 6-16.
“Chief Gall and Abe Lincoln’s Railroad,” by Robert W. Larson, pp. 17-27.
“Sculpting Lincoln,” by Claudia Pratt with Kathleen Davison, pp. 28-44.
CHILDREN'S BOOK REVIEWS
- Zitkala-Sa, Dance in a Buffalo Skull. Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon.
- Donald F. Montileaux, ill., Tatanka and the Lakota People: A Creation Story. Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon.
- L. Frank Baum, The Discontented Gopher. Reviewed by Janet Daley Jury.
- Phillip Lars Manning, Dinomummy: The Life, Death, and Discovery of Dakota, a Dinosaur from Hell Creek. Reviewed by John W. Hoganson.
- M. John Lubetkin, Jay Cooke’s Gamble: The Northern Pacific Railroad, the Sioux, and the Panic of 1873. Reviewed by Richard E. Collin.
- Don L. Hoffsommer, Minneapolis and the Age of Railways. Reviewed by M. John Lubetkin.
- Carla Kelly, ed., On the Upper Missouri: The Journal of Rudolph Friederich Kurz. Reviewed by Raymond Wilson.
- James A. Hanson, When Skins Were Money: A History of the Fur Trade. Reviewed by Bill Hunt.
- John D. W. Guice, ed., By His Own Hand? The Mysterious Death of Meriwether Lewis. Reviewed by Gregory S. Camp.
- Hjalmar Rued Holand, History of the Norwegian Settlements: A Translated and Expanded Version of the 1908 De Norske Settlementers Historie and the 1930 Den Siste Folkevandring Sagastubber fra Nybyggerlived I Amerika. Reviewed by Merlan E. Paaverud, Jr.
- Stan Hoig, White Man’s Paper Trail: Grand Councils and Treaty-Making on the Central Plains. Reviewed by Francis Paul Prucha.
- Virgil W. Dean, An Opportunity Lost: The Truman Administration and the Farm Policy Debate. Reviewed by Jenny Barker-Devine.
- Kathleen Stokker. Remedies and Rituals: Folk Medicine in Norway and the New Land. Reviewed by Betty Bergland.
- Wayne R. Kime, Colonel Richard Irving Dodge: The Live and Times of a Career Army Officer. Reviewed by Sandy Barnard.
- Fr. William Sherman, et. al., ed., Scattered Steeples, Expanded: A Tribute to the Church in North Dakota Through the Years and Also a Commemoration of the Fortieth Anniversary of the Dedication of Cardinal Muench Seminary. Reviewed by James E. Coomber.
- Phillip Lars Manning, Grave Secrets of Dinosaurs: Soft Tissue and Hard Science. Reviewed by Darrin Pagnac.
VOL. 74, NOS. 1 & 2 (2007)
““Never Take Politics Personally”: Governor Allen I. Olson,” Edited by Gerald G. Newborg, pp. 2-35.
“Horsepower and Horse Tracks: The Fargo Auto Races of 1915,” by Daniel J. Simone, pp. 36-43.
- James P. Ronda and Nancy Tystad Koupal, eds. Finding Lewis and Clark: Old Trails, New Directions. Reviewed by Keith Edgerton.
- Rhoda R. Gilman. Henry Hastings Sibley: Divided Heart. Reviewed by Stephen Gross.
- John Price. Not Just Any Land: A Personal and Literary Journey into the American Grassland. Reviewed by Linda Helstern.
- Jon Reyhner and Jeanne Eder. American Indian Education: A History. Reviewed by James T. Carroll.
- Paul A. Johnsgard. Prairie Dog Empire: A Saga of the Shortgrass Prairie. Reviewed by Carolyn E. Grygiel.
- Linea Sundstrom. Storied Stone: Indian Rock Art of the Black Hills Country. Reviewed by Linda Olson.
- William E. Foley. Wilderness Journey: The Life of William Clark. Reviewed by Erik Holland.
- Eli S. Ricker. Voices of the American West, Vol. I: The Indian Interviews of Eli S. Ricker, 1903-1919. Richard E. Jenson, ed. Reviewed by Rick Ewig.
- Eli S. Ricker. Voices of the American West, Vol. II: The Settler and Soldier Interviews of Eli S. Ricker, 1903-1919. Richard E. Jenson, ed. Reviewed by Rick Ewig.
- Dennis Banks with Richard Erdoes. Ojibwa Warrior: Dennis Banks and the Rise of the American Indian Movement. Reviewed by Carole A. Barrett.
- David B. Danbom. Going It Alone: Fargo Grapples with the Great Depression. Reviewed by Fred Viche.
- Roger L. Di Silverstro. In the Shadow of Wounded Knee: The Untold Final Story of the Indian Wars. Reviewed by Richmond L. Clow.
- Thomas N. Ingersoll. To Intermix with Our White Brothers: Indian Mixed Bloods in the United States from Earliest Times to the Indian Removals. Reviewed by Jill Doerfler.
- Brenda K. Jackson. Domesticating the West: The Re-creation of the Nineteenth-Century American Middle Class. Reviewed by Dorothy Pratt.
- Barbara Handy-Marchello. Women of the Northern Plains: Gender and Settlement on the Homestead Frontier, 1870-1930. Reviewed by Lois Phillips Hudson.
- Dennis S. Nordin and Ray V. Scott. From Prairie Farmer to Entrepreneur: The Transformation of Midwestern Agriculture. Reviewed by Hiram M. Drache.
VOL. 73, NOS. 3 & 4 (2006)
“The North Dakota Artwork of General Régis de Trobriand,” by W. Raymond Wood, pp. 2-30.
“General Régis de Trobriand: A Brief Biography,”
“The North Dakota Artwork.”
- Mike Thompson. The Travels and Tribulations of Theodore Roosevelt’s Cabin. Reviewed by George F. Will, Jr.
- Paul VanDevelder. Coyote Warrior: One Man, Three Tribes, and the Trial that Forged a Nation. Reviewed by Robert Russell.
- Robert Vogel. Unequal Contest: Bill Langer and His Political Enemies. Reviewed by Theodore B. Pedeliski.
- Jeffrey Ostler. The Plains Sioux and U.S. Colonialism from Lewis and Clark to Wounded Knee. Reviewed by David Reed Miller.
- Brandon K. Ruud, ed. Karl Bodmer’s North American Prints. Reviewed by Joan Carpenter Troccoli.
- Michael Johnston Grant. Down and Out on the Family Farm: Rural Rehabilitation in the Great Plains, 1919-1945. Reviewed by Kimberly K. Porter.
- Gary E. Moulton, ed. The Lewis and Clark Journal: Am American Epic of Discovery. Reviewed by Clay S. Jenkinson.
- Dayton Duncan. Scenes of Visionary Enchantment: Reflections on Lewis and Clark. Reviewed by John L. Allen.
- Robert P. Watson, ed. George McGovern: A Political Life, a Political Legacy. Reviewed by Jeffrey A. Johnson.
- David J. Wishart, ed. Encyclopedia of the Great Plains. Reviewed by Paul Picha.
- Jill Marie Koelling. Digital Imaging: A Practical Approach. Reviewed by Sharon Silengo.
- R. Eli Paul. Blue Water Creek and the First Sioux War, 1854-1856. Reviewed by Gregory F. Michno.
- Thomas Constantine Maroukis. Peyote and the Yankton Sioux: The Life and Times of Sam Necklace. Reviewed by Herbert T. Hoover.
- Charles H. Walker, Combat Officer: A Memoir of War in the South Pacific. Reviewed by Richard Stenberg.
- Ashely Shelby. Red River Rising: The Anatomy of a Flood and the Survival of an American City. Reviewed by Terry Shoptaugh.
- Jane Varley. Flood Stage Rising. Reviewed by Terry Shoptaugh.
- Carol Higham and Robert Thacker, eds. One West, Two Myths: a Comparative Reader. Reviewed by William E. Lass.
VOL. 73, NOS. 1 & 2 (2006)
“Dinosaurs, Sharks, and Wolly Mammoths: Glimpses of Life in North Dakota's Prehistoric Past” by John W. Hoganson
- North Dakota's Primordial Seas
- North Dakota's Cretaceous Underwater World
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Hell Creek Delta
- The K-T Boundary Extinction
- North Dakota Everglades
- North Dakota Savanna
- The Great Ice Age
- The Holocene: A Reprieve from the Ice Age
VOL. 72, NOS. 3 & 4 (2005)
“Family, Politics, and Show Business: The Photographs of Sitting Bull,” Markus H. Lindner, pp. 2-21.
“Behind the Lens,” Frank E. Vyzralek, pp. 22-24.
“Missing in Action: A Family’s Experience during World War II,” Terry L. Shoptaugh, pp. 25-37.
“Triumph and Tragedy: The Return Home,” Gregory S. Camp, pp. 38-57.
- Steven L. Piott. Giving Voters a Voice: The Origins of the Initiative and Referendum in America. Reviewed by Charles M. Barber.
- Colin G. Calloway. One Vast Winter Count: The Native American West before Lewis and Clark. Reviewed by Raymond A. Bucko.
- Colin F. Taylor and Hugh A. Dempsey, eds. The People of the Buffalo: The Plains Indians of North America. Vol. 1, Military Art, Warfare, and Change: Essays in Honor of John C. Ewers. Reviewed by W. Raymond Wood.
- Sandra L. Brizée-Bowen. For All to See: The Little Bighorn Battle in Plains Indian Art. Reviewed by Castle McLaughlin.
- Elin Woodger and Brandon Toropov. Encyclopedia of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Reviewed by Bethany Andreasen.
- Castle McLaughlin. Arts of Diplomacy: Lewis and Clark’s Indian Collection. Reviewed by Chris Dill.
- Richard O. Davies, Joseph A. Amato, and David R. Pichaske, eds. A Place Called Home: Writings on the Midwestern Small Town. Reviewed by Miles D. Lewis.
- Valerie Sherer Mathes and Richard Lowitt. The Standing Bear Controversy: Prelude to Indian Reform. Reviewed by David Reed Miller.
- Stephen Dow Beckham, Doug Erickson, Jeremy Skinner, and Paul Merchant. The Literature of the Lewis and Clark Expedition: A Bibliography and Essays. Reviewed by Elliott West.
- Bonnie Sue Lewis. Creating Christian Indians: Native Clergy in the Presbyterian Church. Reviewed by Dale Stover.
- Amos E. Oneroad and Alanson B. Skinner. Being Dakota: Tales & Traditions of the Sisseton & Wahpeton. Reviewed by Gregory O. Gagnon.
VOL. 72, NOS. 1 & 2 (2005)
“Guardian of the Land: Arthur A. Link" edited by Gerald G. Newborg
“The Corps of Discovery and the Final Challenges in Rechanging the Pacific Ocean" by Gregory S. Camp
- Tracey Potter. Sheheke, Mandan Indian Diplomat: The Story of White Coyote, Thomas Jefferson, and Lewis and Clark. Reviewed by Raymond Cross.
- Darrin J. Rodgers. Northern Harvest: Pentecostalism in North Dakota. Reviewed by Reverend Daniel Maloney, O.S.B.
- James J. Holmberg. Dear Brother: Letters of William Clark to Jonathan Clark. Reviewed by Peter Plodgett.
- Claire Strom. Profiting from the Plains: The Great Northern Railway and Corporate Development of the West. Reviewed by Shelton Stromquist.
- Audrey K. Wendland. Florence: The True Story of a Country Schoolteacher in Minnesota and North Dakota. Reviewed by Winifred DeLong.
- W. Raymond Wood. Prologue to Lewis & Clark: The Mackay and Evans Expedition. Reviewed by Thomas D. Thiessen.
- Diane D. Quantic and P. Jane Hafen, eds. A Great Plains Reader. Reviewed by Robert W. Lewis.
- Paul A. Johnsgard. Great Wildlife of the Great Plains.
Reviewed by H. Ted Upgren, Jr.
- Paul A. Johnsgard and Bob Gress. Faces of the Great Plains: Prairie Wildlife.
Reviewed by H. Ted Upgren, Jr.
- Marilyn Irvin Hold. Children of the Western Plains: The Nineteenth-Century Experience. Reviewed by Linda Peavy and Ursula Smith.
- Jennifer Sinor. The Extraordinary Work of Ordinary Writing: Annie Ray's Diary. Reviewed by Elizabeth Hampsten.
- Maxwell Van Nuys. Inkpaduta - The Scarlet Point: Terror of the Dakota Frontier and Secret Hero of the Sioux. Reviewed by Gregory S. Camp.