Title: Wunderlich Family Films
Collection Number: 11097
Quantity: 2 feet
Abstract: The collection consists of 20 16mm film segments ranging in length from under 3 minutes to slightly over an hour and totaling approximately 3.5 hours. Although the film is generally undated, the earliest identified date is 1961 and the latest 1987.
The film collection includes typical home movie subjects, including children's antics, opening Christmas presents, vacation scenes at the International Peace Garden, Lake McDonald, and Marineland of the Pacific. Film of track meets (including the state track meet of 1978) focuses on a family member competing in the high jump. Other film shows typical farming activities, from plowing to harvesting, the raising of a grain leg, and livestock handling. A significant amount of film shows mining at the Falkirk Mine and the large dragline at the Prairie Rose. Other shorter segments show a parade in Velva, erection of telephone poles and lines, and house construction.
Most of the film was transferred to digital video at 15 frames per second (fps) -silent speed- since it was clearly shot at that speed. In other cases where it was initially difficult to determine the appropriate speed, the film was transferred at 24 fps (standard sound speed). Some of the track meet film appears to have been filmed in slow motion. All the film is silent. Film is color unless indicated otherwise. Segment titles are generally taken from the film boxes or canisters.
Provenance: The State Historical Society of North Dakota acquired the Wunderlich Family Film Collection from Glenn Wunderlich in February 2008.
Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights to this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code or an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.
1. Reel 1. Includes children and animals, and owl, hay fire, riding cattle, mining at Falkirk mine, erection of telephone poles and lines, building house, parade in Velva, farm scenes, deer herd. Length: 1:00:45. 15fps.
2. Reel 2. Home movies including children and Christmas, well drilling, farm yard, new truck, animal surgery, driving through countryside in winter, deer (dead) on truck, steam threshers, new house, cutting corn, family gathering. Length: 27:14. 15fps.
3. Falkirk Mine. Shows large dragline Athe Prairie Rose.@ Length: 4:45. 15fps.
4. Falkirk 2. Shows bird feeding, family at kitchen table, mine dragline moving dirt. Dragline footage begins at 2:25. Length: 4:38. 15fps.
5. Farming. Shows field work from plowing to harvesting. Length: 13:12. 24fps.
6. Combining. Film processed May 1984. Length: 2:54. 24fps.
7. Combining 2. Straight combining wheat with John Deere combine and eating lunch in the field. Film processed September 1984. Length: 3:43. 15fps.
8. Snow storm in spring - 30 inches. Film processed May 1984. Length: 2:58. 24fps.
9. Snow storm 2. Film processed September 1984. Length: 2:57. 24fps.
10. Barn shingling. As identified on box, includes Julie, baby, Christmas 1961, air show at Air Force base. Shingling begins at ca. 16:00. Length: 18:20. 15fps.
11. Leg raising and Dennis mowing 75-6. Film processed July 1976. Shows grain leg raising (color poor), lawn mowing. Length: 4:30. 15fps.
12. Air Base. Shows air show (through 7:46), picnic. Length: 8:45. 24fps.
13. Track film. Shows Velva team at track meet. B/W film. Length: 4:43. 15fps.
14. State track, Wahpeton. Length: 2:19. 24fps.
15. State track 1978. Shows ADonna jumping 1978," state track meet, opening presents at Christmas 1978. Length: 4:36. 15fps.
16. Birds January 1987. Owl and robin. Shows owl perched on garage, robin nest on machine, robin, lilac bushes, squirrel on roof. Length: 4:40. 15fps.
17. Children eating. Shows baby on sofa, children eating spaghetti, unhappy baby. Length: 4:38. 15fps.
18. Peace Garden, Christmas 1963 and 1964. Shows ADonna and Doreen,@ Peace Garden, gopher digging, baby (Donna). Length: 16:30. 15fps.
19. Theodore and Marineland. Shows home movies of children, Marineland of the Pacific, home movies of animal act. Length: 12:58. 15fps.
20. Lake McDonald - Dale - Dennis - Dams - Debbie and puppy. Length: 3:00. 24fps.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Museum Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except legal holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except legal holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710