FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Lorna Meidinger
November 13, 2012
BISMARCK – A Fargo school has been listed and an historic district in Bismarck has been amended in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government’s list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition.
Woodrow Wilson School in Fargo was nominated for its Collegiate Gothic design by the local architecture firm of Haxby and Braseth. The school is also a good example how design changed to meet Progressive-era education ideas. This school offered elementary classes during the day and night classes for adults in its beginning and was an alternative high school until last year.
An amendment extending the period of significance of the Downtown Bismarck Historic District to 1957 and including the Cowan Building as a contributing resource has been accepted. The boundaries of the district did not change.
Contrary to some misconceptions about the National Register program, listing in it does not prevent owners from altering their property, restricting the use or sale of the property, or establish times requiring that the property must be open to the public. Entry into the National Register of Historic Places does give a property prestige, provides protection from federally-assisted projects, and provides eligibility for certain preservation financial incentives.
For more information about North Dakota sites on the National Register of Historic Places, go to the State Historical Society of North Dakota’s website at history.nd.gov.
- 30 -
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710