go to exhibit home page go to history section go to objects section go to shields section
Touraine shield


(tō-rĕn´) (pron: too-rain)

Capital: Tours (pron: tour)
French annexation: 1214

Philippe le Hardi was granted both Touraine and Bourgogne.  That is why the arms on this shield are also the first and fourth quarters of the shield of Bourgogne.

Touraine provincial map