Title: Gorden Alfsen
Dates: ca. 1920s-2011
Collection Number: 11171
Quantity: 1 foot
Abstract: Consists of scrapbooks with genealogical material (Alfsen, Coborn, Cripps, Davis, Jones, Pothier, Ryder, Sharp and Thoe families), correspondence, photographs (Alfsen, Davis, Pothier and Dolesky families), reminiscences, newspaper clippings, histories of Melville, Melville Township, and Devils Lake (ND) that belonged to Gordon Alfsen, a Devils Lake native.
Provenance: The collection was donated to the State Historical Society of North Dakota by Dorothy Brownlow, Deputy County Attorney, Missoula County (MT) on behalf of the Gordon Alfsen estate on April 11, 2013.
Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights to this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code or an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.
Box 1 Scrapbook:
- Information about Melville and Melville Township, ND
- Photographs of Gordon Alfsen and a group outside the W. Pothier Garage and ice cream shop (Melville ND?)
Box 2 Scrapbook:
- “Memories as a Child,” John Edward Walton
- Probate information for the Jennie Alfsen estate
- News clippings: Chautauqua, Minnie H, “Do You Remember” segments from Devils Lake newspapers, post cards of Devils Lake, ca. 1940
- Photographs: Gordon, Ethel, Fred, Jeannie, and Bernadette Alfsen; Dr. and Anna Dolesky and Louise Dolesky
Box 3 Scrapbook:
- Genealogical information about Jean-Baptiste Pothier
- Genealogical information and news clippings about Mary Davis (Cripps) and members of the Davis family (including Coborn, Jones, Pothier, Ryder, Sharp and Thoe)
- Map of Melville (ND)
- Photographs of Davis family members (Albert, Alice, Ann, Edward, Evan, Lloyd, Margaret, Mary, Peter, Sarah, Spencer, William Jason) and photographs in Wales where the Davis (Davies) family originated (taken in 1983 by Gertrude Davis)
- Photographs of Gordon Alfsen, and Pothier family members
- Photographs of Melville (ND)
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Museum Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710