Title: Dr. Warren A. Henke Papers
Collection Number: 10209
Quantity: 4.5 feet
Abstract: Papers consist of correspondence, war ration books, Henke’s Doctoral dissertation, research, material from history classes at Bismarck Junior College (BJC), BJC faculty material and issues, political ephemera, speeches, post cards, publications, newspaper clippings, legislation, menus and place mats from restaurants, and a variety of posters. Dr. Henke was a Professor of History at Bismarck Junior College and an author.
Provenance: The papers were donated to the State Historical Society of North Dakota by Dr. Warren Henke on September 10, 1982. Additional material was added in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 2008 and in 2009. The collection was processed and the inventory created by Emily J. Ergen in December 2009 and January 2010.
Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights to this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code or an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.
Transfer: Seventy two artifacts were removed from the collection and transferred to the Museum Division (see case file for specific items). One 1973 Bismarck Junior College Annual was transferred to the State Archives Publications. Seven and one half feet of material was transferred to the Bismarck State College Archives. The transferred material consisted of faculty memoranda and inter-office correspondence, activities material, course schedules, printed material, directories, course catalogs, brochures, library material, committee material, yearbooks, and leave and registration information. Additional artifacts were offered to the Museum Division in August 2013.
BOX AND FOLDER INVENTORY
1 Correspondence, 1943-1988
2 War ration books, 1943-ca.1944
3 Books and publications; leaflets, 1976-2008
4 Dissertation (Doctor of Philosophy in American Studies in Graduate School of University of NM, Albuquerque, NM), “Government and Business: Economic Growth in North Dakota, 1890-1933" chapters I-IV, 1970
5 Dissertation, chapters V-VIII, 1970
6 Henke’s “party platforms” notes and data, 1973
7 Henke’s “party platforms” notes and data - 1889-1892, 1973
8 Henke’s “party platforms” notes and data - 1894-1914, 1973
9 Supreme Court Committee on Proposed Judicial article, 1976
10 North Dakota Heritage Center, 1973
11 Post cards (Enchanted Highway, log cabin in Center, ND, Chautauqua)
12 Political comics/cartoons, 1960s-1970s
13 Speeches at UND - Ross Barnett and George Lincoln Rockwell, 1965
14 Political ephemera, 1960s
15 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures, 1970s
16 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures (continued), 1970s
17 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures, 1980s
18 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures (continued), 1980s
1 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures, 1990s
2 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures (continued), 1990s
3 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures, 2000s
4 Campaign material and political ephemera - ND and national elections, ballot issues, and constitutional measures (continued), 2000s
5 BJC project outreach, 1975-1976
6 BJC family history project - A-J, 1975-1976
7 BJC family history project - K-S, 1975-1976
8 BJC History 900 - Our Immigrant Heritage, Immigrant letters, UND Graduate Center-Bismarck, 1985
9 BJC Pioneer queen candidate forms
10 Open records-open meetings, 1977-1983
11 Faculty salary negotiations manual, 1977-1978
12 Faculty salary negotiations manual, 1978-1979
13 Faculty salary negotiations, 1977-1980
14 Faculty salary negotiations (continued), 1977-1980
15 Position statement-salary dispute, 1981
16 Newspaper clippings - BJC issues, 1976-1979
17 HB 1575 - UND-BJC Bill, 1985
18 BJC - Humanalysis Inc., 1986-1987
19 The cheating incident, 1989
20 Institute for Local and Western History, 1976-1977
21 Court case - evaluation of President Lidstrom, 1980-1981
Box 3: (Newspaper Box)
- Newspaper clippings on posterboard -North Dakota politics, national politics and advertisements, 1962-1965
- Political leaflet - Democrat Tax Package, 1965
- Poster - Re-elect Dale Granrud for Burleigh County Sheriff
- Menus and place mats from restaurants - mostly ND, but also SD, Winnipeg (MB), MN, MT, WI, Washington, D.C., MO, CA, MD, OH, PA, 1974-1980 .
- Poster - Skyview Motel, Red Lodge, MT
- Menu - BJC Old English Christmas Feaste, n.d.
- Posters - National Humanities Council: “‘Wild Bill’ Langer Lecture”; “Tomorrow’s Farmer: A Bread and Butter Debate”; “The Mystery of the Sphinx” Mark Lehner lecture (ND Humanities Council)
- Poster - “The American West: Colonies in Revolt,” Institute of the American West and Association for Humanities in Idaho, 6/30-7/3/1981
Box 4: Slides 10209-001 – 10209-1106 (SEE PHOTOGRAPHS INVENTORY BELOW)
(Rolled) Poster - Vice President Dick Cheney
OVERSIZE - MAP CASE DRAWER
- Yard signs - Pomeroy for U.S. Congress, 2008
- Yard signs - Adam Hamm Insurance Commissioner (2), 2008
- Yard signs - Bob Peterson State Auditor, 2008
- Yard signs - Brian Kalk Public Service Commissioner, 2008
- Yard signs - Cheryl Bergian Public Service Commissioner (2), 2008
- Yard signs - Daryl Splichal State Auditor, 2008
- Yard signs - Duane Sand Congress, 2008
- Yard signs - Jasper Schneider Insurance Commissioner, 2008
- Yard signs - John Hoeven Governor, 2008
- Yard signs - McCain - JohnMcCain.com, 2008
- Yard signs - McCain-Palin, 2008
- Yard signs - Obama - New Leadership for a Changing World, 2008
- Yard signs - Obama - Strong Middle Class, Strong America, 2008
- Yard signs - Obama - Biden, 2008
- Yard signs - State Legislative District 32 Democrat-NPL candidates Asbridge, Long Feather, and Unkenholz, 2008
- Yard signs - Teamsters for Obama (2), 2008
- Yard signs - Tim Mathern Governor, 2008
10209-001 – 276 Advertising billboards
10209-277 – 416 Political billboards
10209-417 – 583 Destinations, towns, and city advertizing billboards
10209-584 – 590 Personal messages on billboards
10209-591 – 597 Mailboxes
10209-598 – 678 Manmade structures
10209-679 – 688 Stained glass church windows, Hebron (ND)
10209-689 – 767 Religious billboards, buildings, and structures
10209-768 – 827 Badlands (ND), Medora (ND), and Medora Musical
10209-828 – 864 Art in the Park, Mandan (ND), July 4, 1977
10209-865 – 882 Strip mining
10209-883 – 902 Napoleon (ND) Centennial Celebration, 1974
10209-903 – 907 Billboards
10209-908 – 912 Bismarck Parade, 1964
10209-913 – 921 New Salem (ND) Sue Cow Dedication
10209-922 – 961 North Dakota State Fair, Minot (ND), 1973
10209-962 – 975 Center (ND), July 4, 1977
10209-976 – 1045 Sunsets, North Dakota, 1973-1974
10209-1046 – 1064 United Tribes International Powwow, Bismarck (ND), 1974
10209-1065 – 1091 Painted fire hydrants for National Bicentennial, Stanley (ND), 1976
10209-1092 – 1106 Threshing Bee, Makoti (ND), 1979
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Museum Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except legal holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except legal holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710