Title: Clark W. McDonnell Papers
Collection Number: MSS 10170
Quantity: 3.25 feet
Abstract: Papers consist of correspondence, printed materials, newspaper clippings, and reports relating to administration of the State Historical Society, Arrowwood Lake Park, local history, and creation of a state park near Kensal (ND).
The June 6, 2012 accession consists of a French magazine with translations and notes created by a brother of C. W. McDonnell (either Angus or William F.) who served in World War I, brochures on the ruin of churches after WWI in France, news clippings about the war and officers and men of the Newfoundland Regiment, correspondence, and a ticket from the Morton County President Roosevelt birthday ball held January 29, 1938.
McDonnell served in the State Legislature from 1917-1921, was a member of the State Public Service Commission (Railroad Commission) from 1921-1937 and 1941 to 1950, a member of the State Historical Society of North Dakota Board of Directors, and was one of the early members of the Nonpartisan League.
Provenance: The collection was donated by Robert Byrne on November 1, 1953. Additional material from an unknown donor was added, and this inventory was created in June 2012. The donor might be Bernard McDonnell, Vancouver WA.
Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U. S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.
Transfer: One publication was transferred to the State Archives’ Publications in June 2012.
From McDonnell’s obituary in the Bismarck Tribune, May 15, 1952
E. W. McDonnell, 82, a North Dakota public official for more than 30 years, died in a local hospital Thursday.
He had been in poor health for some time and had been hospitalized since March 29.
McDonnell was a member of the State Public Service Commission from 1921-1937 and from 1941 to 1950.
He was renominated by the Republicans for another term on the commission in 1950 but was forced to give up the nomination because of poor health. He was appointed head of the commission’s grain elevation division March 5, 1951, a position he held until his death.
Born in Nova Scotia in 1870, McDonnell lived in Minnesota for 10 years, then came to North Dakota in 1893.
Prior to entering the Public Service Commission, formerly known as the Railroad Commission, McDonnell served in the State Legislature for four years, 1917 to 1921.
As a young man he taught school and studied telegraphy. He began his railroad career as agent at Kensal, ND, in 1893, where he also spent some time as town marshal and served on the school board.
McDonnell left the railroad service in 1905 and engaged in the truck and ice business. In 1910 he bought a farm north of Kensal which he operated until 1921. He also served as director of the state laboratories department, between 1937 and 1941.
He helped to organize the northwest shippers advisory board.
McDonnell was one of the early members of the Nonpartisan League but in later years was endorsed by the Republican Organizing Committee faction of the Republican Party.
He leaves two sons, Wesley, Vancouver, Wash., and Wilson, Seattle, Wash., and two brothers, Angus, Lougheed, Alberta, and William F. McDonnell, Ft. Smith, Northwest Territories, Canada.
The body is at the Boelter Funeral Home. Funeral Services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday in the chapel of the Boelter Funeral Home with the Rev. F. V. Tannehill officiating. Burial will be made in Fairview Cemetery. Honorary pallbearers will be S. S. McDonald, Charles Liessman, Tom Hall, H. D. Hunter, George Kollman, Nelson Mason and Clarence E. Bryant. Serving as active pallbearers were Elmer Olson, Robert Byrne, A. J. Jensen, E. D. Nelson, E. H. Brant and Dave Rieker.
BOX / FOLDER INVENTORY
1 State Historical Society of North Dakota Directors' meeting minutes, notices and memoranda, 1922-1925, 1930
2 Correspondence, 1921-1923
3 Correspondence, 1924, 1925, 1929-1930
4 Report of Curator to Trustees of State Historical Society of North Dakota, January 12, 1924 and information bulletins to the Trustees, numbers 1 (September 2, 1923), 3 and 4 (ca. 1923-1924)
5 Write up about direct descendents of Daniel Boone and Sacajawea, review of the History of North Dakota by Lewis F. Crawford, bibliography of books on ND history, ca. 1924
6 Printed material - collections of the SHSND, Lincoln birthday program, Melvin R. Gilmore articles, O. A. Stevens article, Soo Line Topics, book reviews
7 Maps of Arrowwood Lake, n.d.
8 List of County Chairs of the State Historical Society of North Dakota, 1920s?
9 Newspaper clippings - Discovery of Indian and Prehistoric Days at Junction of James and Pipestem Rivers (Dana Wright), State Parks, Sibley Trail, and miscellaneous articles, 1920s
10 Angus or William F. McDonnell's WWI material, ca. 1918
11 President Roosevelt birthday ball ticket and miscellaneous, ca. 1938
Oversize (map case drawer):
L’Illustration journal, June 13, 1918 with notes and translations by Angus or William F. McDonnell
News clippings featuring the Canadian Highlanders, German prisoners, and general WWI items, ca. 1918
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710